Monday, February 05, 2007

Christian outsourcing - the sequel

And then he took it even farther. He said,

In that case, why don't we just outsource the entire Rockharbor staff? We can hire pastors in India for a fraction of the salary and have the sermons sent over on video feeds. They can email us their wise counsel and bible study curriculum. Come to think of it, why do I even need to sit in church for an hour every week at all? I can just pay someone else to sit there for me while I'm out having fun with friends. They can summarize the sermon in bullet points and give it to me.

Why not do that? Oh yeah. Because it's about ME. I have to experience God. I have to commit to Him. I have to know Jesus and share Him. I have to choose the better of two choices. I have to follow-through on my commitments. My character won't be developed if I wait for it to happen. I have to choose the experiences that will facilitate that growth. I am an adult and I have to take responsibility for myself and choose. And I don't get a second chance.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. There aren't any do-overs. Either I go, I serve and I develop my character now, or I don't. And either which way I choose, the clock is ticking. The minutes are passing and I only get 70 years on this earth. If I don't use them towards loving and serving God, I can't get them back.

No comments: