Wednesday, May 09, 2007

the truth about sunscreen

The truth is: It's not about what number SPF you have. 15 or 55 really doesn't matter. It's about having both kinds of sunscreen in whatever bottle you buy. I learned this last summer. One kind is a cocktail of chemicals that deflect the UVA and UVB rays so they can't get in to damage your skin. The other kind is an actual coating barrier, like the zinc oxide people used to put on their noses in the 80s, and it stops the rays like clothing does. The thing is, the chemical kind can get old, which I learned when I put on 45 and got burned last summer. But the coating kind stays good for longer, not forever but about 3 years at least. And the best kind of all has both chemical and coating sunblock, so if one goes bad at least you have a backup.

But you should really replace it every year anyway, just to be safe.

I hate sunburns. Therefore I love Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer DryTouch Sunblock with Helioplex, SPF 55. It smells amazing. Jill gave me some two summers ago when we went to Magic Mountain in July. It changed my life. It costs $10 bucks per tube, but that's what life transformation costs.

I guess the truth really does set us free.

No comments: