Saturday, December 09, 2006

Remember Veggie Tales?

Last night when I got home from the Expos Christmas Party, I got a message about another kind of Experiment. This fascinated me so much I buzzed on over to http://www.philvischer.com/ to read the full story on what happened to Big Idea Productions, the parent company of Veggie Tales. (Subsequently, I only got 4 hours of sleep.) He is a really good storyteller (and I don't say that lightly) and it is a fascinating story of how even when all our motives are right, we can pass God up as we zoom by in the fast lane towards achieving our dreams.

This is beginning to inform my thoughts about our Rockharbor Experiment.

Two things are happening that got me thinking about the fall of Big Idea.

One, Carl dared the Expos to embrace a "Big Idea" this week (it's also known as the campaign without a name) that is going to definitely stretch our ability to believe in God for big things to happen.

Two, I have the privilege of working with some amazing, sold-out people I love and adore on a new conference called The Soul Restoration Project.

Today we had a meeting to pray for the conference and in a lot of ways I realized that even though some things are not coming together as planned, I know it will ultimately happen and succeed because God is leading it. He is birthing it and there is a need for a place to bring young people together and allow them to experience on a mini-level the kind of healing that takes place in The River. I'm so excited about what God is going to do and how He will help us create this new space for healing to happen.

As far as Carl's Big Idea, I am not sure yet how God is going to use it. But I think reading Phil's story at this stage in the game, I am starting to realize that I need to be soaking this thing in prayer and asking for God to only do what He wills. I want to follow Him and His big ideas, not give him mine and ask Him to bless them.

No comments: