Thursday, January 12, 2006

I'm broke

And the triple entendre here is that I am actually (financially) broke, plus my body is "broke" and if you know me well at all, you know my mind is definitely and permanently broke.

Hope you enjoyed a laugh on my dime.

So yes, getting better takes a lot longer than I would ever want it to. I keep receiving huge bills in the mail and laughing because I can't work, or even sit for more than 30 minutes upright, and they think I am going to just write them checks for thousands of dollars. Lucky for me, I am the "deserving poor" and I am availing myself of the societal systems which all my Republican friends say are supposed to help me. One, community hospital ER fees paid by my previous tax contributions. Two, my rich benefactors. Three, praying in public places for help from on high. And four, the almighty credit system in America, where I will contribute credit card interest to my preferred bank in exchange for the "freedom" to pay over time.

You know, I would just like to go on record in saying that I have never held unsecured debt before in my life and I followed all those wise financial management books that said to keep 3-6 months of expenses in an easily accessible account. And yet, for an entire year I didn't touch a dime of the money, and now, in my hour of need, it has already been halved and the half that's left is bleeding out of me for medical expenses. How's that for irony?

No comments: