Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Observations from a Tiny Seat with a Right-Hand Flip Desk

(yes, they still only have right-hand desks here, just like in undergrad...my class action suit is still in the works...have your left-handed friends email me...)

1. Disrespect is cross-cultural.
(My classmates of all colors are rude, interrupting the professor in a disorderly manner, challenging statistics they know nothing about, shouting out their opinions, offering opinions and anecdotes to the classroom discussion instead of evidence or research-based questions and comments. In short, they are know-it-alls and this is surprising considering that they are going to be social workers and this is graduate school and it is only the 3rd week. All I have to say is, sit down, shut up and listen to your elders!)

2. We need more doctors. (PhDs that is. My professors that are not doctoral-level give some interesting anecdotal lectures that do not present the latest research or even generally known work in the field. I have only had PhD level instructors before since all UC lecturers must hold a doctorate, so this is new for me.)

3. I miss my salary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not that i find this particular post uninteresting... i'm just not... well-versed enough to make an intelligent comment

therefore i'm going to skip to...

hey what service do you go to at ROCKharbor? are you connected anywhere? in a lifegroup?

whoa too many questions... i think you get the feel of what im asking