Saturday, August 06, 2005

the Waiting is the Hardest Part

Well, it has been a season of waiting. Waiting for the return, waiting for a letter from graduate school, waiting for the next phase of my life to start, waiting for God to speak. I feel as though I have been without water or some other vital nutrient for the last month or so. It's one of those things where it's really hard until it gets even harder, and everytime you think you just can't go one step further, somehow you do. And I just keep wondering if it will ever end. I am not by nature a patient person, and so I know this season is meant to build character. But I have learned that when you're actually building character, you don't know it at the time. At the time, at this time for me, it just feels like an anvil is pressing me down into the cement sidewalk, slowly, heavily and inevitably. As the Girl Scouts song went: you can't go over it, you can't go under it, you can't go around it, you've gotta go through it. There is no other way. Just one foot in front of the other...and it's not fun or glamorous. It's hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a song by Something Like Silas

"Words That You Say"

Speak in this close communion
Though this hour seems timeless still
I wait for Your words that bid me come

Breathe in me Holy Spirit
The will when my tomorrow comes
To follow when this song is gone

So I await the words that You say
I open my life
I am longing just to hear these words,
that you say, that you say

Shape me with words of wisdom
Free my torn heart from this world
Renew my mind and form my will

Teach me to wholly offer
So much more than words I sing
And I become the song I bring