Thursday, July 14, 2005

Simplicity

The blog conundrum is like the computers conundrum. Ideally, with the advent of the personal computer and the cubicle-based computer in the workplace, we were supposed to be able to create, edit, manipulate and transmit documents electronically, eventually culminating in a paperless society of ultimate simplicity. Instead, we now have multiple electronic AND paper copies of everything. Similarly, if I am responding to your comments on my blog entries in the comments section of your blog, I will forthwith copy and paste this comment on your blog into a blog entry on my blog, which others will then comment on. Not really acheiving the quest for simplicity, eh?

(This also explains the mountains of paper I dispose of everyday in a lovely blue recycle bin under my desk.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leonard Sweet comments on this when talking about the concept of simultaneity--completely opposite things happening simultaneously....the people who use the internet most are the most into extreme sports....and our paperless worlds leave us drowning in paper. All these things we use to "save us time" keep us busier than ever. Interesting, huh?