Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Contemplation of Names

It's funny how people who become close no longer call each other by their names. They use all these pet names or just none at all and it's ironic because you would think that becoming more close, you would want to honor the person more and really name out who they are as this individual who is more unique and important to you than other individuals, but instead we resort to words like "honey" or "sweetheart" that are affectionate, but nonetheless really common. So basically you are talking to the same person ("honey") your co-worker is with ("honey"), because they are called by the same name. I was talking about this with this married guy at my work a few months back. (We were discussing what people call their significant others, I was trying to think of good pet names for men, and there really aren't any except for like Stud, but that sounds too much like a Boogie Nights reference.) I've heard of places where it's Don Luis if Luis is a higher status, so maybe they use another word like Luis Amor, if Luis is your sweetheart. Anyway, it just makes me think, in American English our language reflects our culture, and we are people who become more casual everyday, with fashion, with morals, with social cues as well as verbally. It used to be really common when people were called Mr. So-and-So or Mrs. So-and-So. It used to be something you could offer someone when you wanted to invite them into knowing you personally. ("No, please, call me Dawn.") A name is a really important thing. It frames who you are, and is the umbrella which under all your actions take place. This is one of the reasons I studied sociology, because I don't need to rebel against our modern social conventions, but I am fascinated by how these tiny little nuances reflect our national character. We no longer value as much a person's social standing, where they fit in the social strata. And in some ways that's good because we are all sinners and there is level ground at the foot of the cross, but in some ways it is (I think) not against a kingdom-centered way of living to honor some more than others. When I think of my mentors, or other Christian people who are just way above the pack in seeing spiritually and doing God's work, I think they deserve greater honor and respect for their wisdom and willingness to live closer to the edge, pouring themselves out for others and Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And yet sometimes special names can be "terms of endearment" which hold a deep, special meaning for those involved.

But overall, I have to agree. Most Pet Names suck.

Anonymous said...

Even on blogspot when you leave a comment it says, "Choose your identity," which implies that even your cyberspace name assigns some value to your personage. So I will sign with the name I always thought I'd use if I ever needed a pseudonym when I became a famous author. I've never really liked my name, I must admit. It's derived from Hannah, and I like that better. Ann is just so utilitarian. I like the pet name "Bugaboo," which I came up with for the kids I babysit. That's fairly original.