Friday, June 22, 2007

Icing

When I was younger, pretty much up until now, I never liked icing. I barely liked cake. But I loved pie. It is an intelligent dessert that has chosen crust on top instead of icing and I strongly approve that choice.

I typically have sad birthdays. There are a few reasons for this. One, it's June 19th. Everyone has gone home from college, or school has just let out for the summer. Two, it's hot. Three, it either falls on or very near Father's Day. Four, they don't really move all the graduations around to accommodate my birthday. (They obviously didn't consult me before creating the traditional school year.)

All of which makes it a little difficult to try and celebrate the day I was born. HOWEVER...(that's a big however...) this year was spectacular. So many good things and doodads came my way.

And the icing was a free ticket to see the Police...and Five Crowns..
And I discovered what is so delectable about icing...Icing is a heavenly substance.
It's what you get when you mix sugar and magic and it's what God gives you when your cupcake just can't hold any more goodness. He just smears icing all over the top.

Life is deliciously good...it's a wonder I don't use more food metaphors in most of my writing since my first book was all about the wonder of food.

1 comment:

cherryjillo said...

Your first book? Why have I heard none of this book?