Wednesday, November 01, 2006

517 Words

Ok, it's ten to midnight and I have written 517 words of my novel. WOW. Can I just say...WOW! I have to get to 1667 to finish today's quota and already I am so amazed at this process. I had ZERO and I mean zero ideas on what I was going to write about, who my characters would be, what they would do and somehow magically it's coming out. They have identities (frighteningly similar to people I know, of course) but also truly singular identities. And names. Seriously, if you doubt that I had not at all planned this novel out, understand this: On the drive home tonight at 10:51pm I was debating whether to use my future kids' names in the novel because I had ZERO other ideas. Luckily, little Colin, Eden and Ishmael are safe. I ate some Lucky Charms and I just started writing and dialogue came out and I saw a scene and I knew who the people were, and what they looked like and what they talked like and I knew their names. And I can see their personal relations, who is important in their lives, so that gives me other characters to write about and their names just showed up too. And they are talking about doing things, so tomorrow I can write about the things they are going to do. And they are talking about things that only happen in a certain time and space, so I have a time and place to put them in. They are almost writing themselves. I thought this was going to be laborious but it's NOT, it's GREAT!!!

No comments: