Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Journey of Unemployment

So, I cried for about an hour, mostly from shock. And then I got over it. And then my mom and I went out to dinner at Wood Ranch, which was delicious. And it's situations like this that make you realize how many dumb times a day annoying perky people say dumb things like, How are you? without really meaning it. Cause each time I wanted to respond, I just got fired, How the -bleep- are you?!? But of course, I didn't. I love Jesus and we already worked on my swearing, so even though I was thinkin' it, I just said, I'm fine. Which is true. Because my job was hellish.

And now I can officially sit on my tush for 6 months until I decide what to do next. Yes, friends, I am your tax dollars at work. For now, I took all my vacation pay ( the money they give you for vacation hours you didn't take) and put it in a vacation fund, because it is going to pay for me to go on an actual vacation. And I took care of all my debt management and now I am just besottedly happy to be unemployed. So without any wallowing, a shout-out to Ann, who came and stayed with me for two nights on 15 minutes notice and was the calming presence I needed and helped me to not at all deal with being canned, but really see this as a grand opportunity to make some real changes.

And without further musing-- a LIST:

5 Things That Are AWESOME in My Life Right Now:

1. I feel totally freed from worry about money. I truly believe and feel God's provision. I have never met one of His kids whom He let go hungry, and I honestly believe that He is now and will forever be taking care of me.

2. Millions - a most amazing movie I watched last night. It is seriously in my all-time Top 10 with Shawshank Redemption and Empire Records and Happy Accidents. Get it!

3. Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen. I woke up yesterday morning, the morning after- so to speak, and on Good Morning America, they were interviewing her on this new book. I immediately wanted to get it, and later in the afternoon Borders sent me a coupon for 40% off. Dear Borders, my unemployed and broke-ass self thanks you!

4. Writing. I couldn't get to sleep after this big change in my life, so I tried the pod and that wasn't really working, but writing down the bones helped. I'm trying to figure out how this will be in my future. I know it will be, I just don't know how.

5. Centered. I felt last night for the first time in about 14 months this one strangely good feeling. And the thought that went along with it was: I am in the center of God's will. I haven't felt that way in along time. (Don't worry you party-liners, I know I have been in it, I just haven't felt that way.) Glorious!

No comments: