Sunday, April 09, 2006

the Gospel of Luke

I went to see the beautiful Ann sing on Saturday night in a gospel concert in Watts. And as I have been meditating on all the songs, and the totality of the experience, the word that came to mind was, LITERAL.

Literal
1. actual: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something;

And this is the glory of gospel, it tells the essential character of something, in its case, the good news of Jesus. And there is nothing more purified and essential than the beautiful multiformity of the people of Watts and the cries which they, we, sent to heaven. And it reminded me of the gospel of Luke, the gospel we turn to at Christmas because it describes in such painstaking detail all of the meaning and specifics of the birth of Christ. Whenever I think of Luke, I think of someone like me, detail-oriented and determined to tell the story just exactly as it happened. LITERALLY.

No comments: