Thursday, July 21, 2005

Election

In the same vein as my post on the Emergent Conversation, I have been reading, thinking and pondering more about this idea of the emerging church. In my travels today, I found this Christianity today article and the most wonderful quote below:

[With his circle diagrams, McLaren is popularizing the work of the late British missionary Lesslie Newbigin, who returned from a lifetime in India to spend his last years reflecting on the need for a new theology of mission. "According to Newbigin, the greatest heresy in monotheism is a misunderstanding of the doctrine of election," McLaren says. "Election is not about who gets to go to heaven; election is about who God chooses to be part of his crisis-response team to bring healing to the world."]

See the whole article here:
The Emergent Mystique in Christianity Today

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That quote rocks....word to us "reformed type people" of the world, which, the leader of my internship so kindly pointed out, he can smell from a mile away. C'mon now people! I'm the least freaking reformed person you'll ever meet. Anyway, twas great hanging out with you and Brennan and the others. :)